Haematology and Blood Bank
This laboratory carries out investigations on diseases of the blood and blood forming organs. It also provides blood transfusion services and provision of blood components e.g platelet concentrate. The tests in Heamatology include:
- Full blood counts.
- Absolute platelet counts.
- Prothombin time (P T) & I N R determination.
- Activated partial thromboplastin time (APTT).
- Haemoglobin phenotype.
- Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenate assay (G6PD ASSAY).
- Erythrocytes Sedimentation rate (ESR).
- Recticulocyte counts.
- Lupus Erythromatosus test.
- Bone marrow aspirate and Biopsy for investigation Hematological disorders.
Under blood transfusion services, we have:
- Blood grouping (for ABO, Rh and other blood group systems).
- Direct antihuman globulin test (DAT).
- Indirect antihuman globulin test (IAT).
- Grouping and cross matching.
- Blood donor's Clinic.
- HIV screening (fourth generation ELISA for P24antigen and HIV antibodies)
Hepatitis-B- infection Marker screening like:
Hepatitis-B Surface antigen (HBsAg).
- Hepatitis-B envelope antigen /antibody (HBclgM).
- Hepatitis-C virus screening (anti-HCV).
The turn-around time for most of the tests is 24 hours except in cases where samples are analyzed in batches for accuracy e.g phenotype.
The department runs Haematology Day Care and Clinic for sickle cell patients and other haemoglobinopathes; haematological malignancies and Consultants therein also collaborate with other departments to diagnose and treat oncology cases and HIV/AIDS and its complication.
The department has the capacity to train Resident Doctors in Haematology, School of Medical Laboratory Scientists Students, and provide supports for post-graduate researches in relevant fields.
More accurate haematological diagnosis is provided with the aid of of our recently purchased Flow Cytometer to identify cluster of differential antigens to support and strengthen morphological diagnosis. The department hosts a Sickle Cell Club which has been formally inaugurated and is a subgroup of the Sickle Cell Club of Nigeria. This is to help support our patients, morally, psychosocially and when possible financially.
We focus on the whole family.
Dr. V.A Mabayoje HOD Haematology and Blood Transfussion Department.
Powered by MIS, LAUTECH Teaching Hospital Osogbo.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.