Chief Medical Director(CMD)
Objectives and Functions
- Excuting the health policies and programme of the Owner-state government.
- Assisting in the formulation of health policies and programmes for the hospital.
- Charged with the responsibility for the execution of the policies and matters affecting the day-to-day management of the affairs of the hospital.
- Co-ordinating the preventive and curative health services.
- Giving professional advices on health matters.
- Taking charge of all departments.
Prof. Olaitan, a Consultant Plastic Surgeon of immense professional experience and international exposure, took over from the erstwhile Chief Medical Director, Prof. Akeem Lasisi whose tenure expired few days ago.
Professor Olaitan, a graduate of University of Ibadan Medical School is a Specialist in Burns & Plastic surgery and has wide training in Plastic surgery in USA, UK, India and some African countries. His areas of specialization include Craniofacial surgery, Keloids and Scars as well as Burns care.
Prof. Olaitan has held several positions in the past at Lautech Teaching Hospital Osogbo and the University. He was a former President, Association of Resident Doctors (ARD)
2001, Head of Department of Surgery (2012-2015), Chairman, Medical Advisory Committee (C-MAC)
(2005-2009), Dean, Faculty of Clinical Sciences (2016-2019) and Provost, College of Health Sciences from August 2019 until his appointment as the Chief Medical Director.
Professor Peter Olaitan is a member of numerous professional bodies including:
- Nigerian Medical Association (NMA)
- Nigerian Association of Plastic and Aesthetic Surgeons (NAPRAS)
- Medical and Dental Consultants Association (MDCAN)
- American Association of Surgeons
- American Association of Plastic Surgeons
- American Cleftlip and Palate Association
He also holds the fellowships of the:
- West African College of Surgeons (FWACS)
- International College of Surgeons (FICS)
- American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- Certificate in Craniofacial Surgery (India)
- Certificate in Paediatric Plastic Surgery (USA)
While addressing the Heads of Departments, the new Chief Medical Director, Professor Olaitan promised to bring on board his vast experience to turn the hospital around through social engineering in training and retraining of staff. He lamented the dwindling image of the hospital more so when salaries and other remunerations are paid as and when due by the owner state. He promised that performance will be rewarded within the available resources as an encouragement while loopholes for possible leakages will be plugged.
As a way of getting more hitech equipment into the hospital to enhance quality health care delivery, the new Chief Medical Director said he would pursue Public-Private Participation (PPP) arrangements vigorously with both local and international organisations.
Prof. Peter OlaitanAg. CMD LAUTECH Teaching Hospital, Osogbo.